Artichoke Basille's Pizza & Brewery


I am incredibly homesick. And when I'm homesick, I start craving for foods that are pretty much unique to Manhattan, namely pizza. Pizza is just not the same anywhere else in the world. I am fortunate enough to be from New York City, home of the hand-tossed, thin-crusted, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese pizza. The pizza in NYC is so good, I was thoroughly underwhelmed in Naples, Italy, home of the absolute original Italian pizza. New York pizza is just honestly better than Italian pizza. (Sorry Shumpert, don't even get me started on deep dish. That's not pizza. #NYKallday #knicksnation) And I am spoiled enough to grow up going to school in Greenwich Village, taking for granted the $1 slice and soda after most schooldays. Though my favorite pizzeria on the corner of Bleecker Street closed years ago, there are still many worthy pizzerias in Manhattan. 

Most recently, my friend Elton insisted that we try out Artichoke. We ordered a margherita slice, their famous artichoke pizza, a stuffed artichoke, and two Stellas on tap. 
1. They serve their beers in 32oz styrofoam cups and allow you to take a cap and straw to have it to go. Drinking beer in the middle of the day in Union Square? Win. 
2. Don't bother with the stuffed artichoke. I don't know what I was expecting, but it was pretty much pure butter and breadcrumbs. 
3. The margherita slice is solid, but a little too crispy. The crust is a bit on the thick crunchy side, but all the flavors and the consistency of the cheese were perfect. So good, I burnt my tongue several times because I needed to eat it. 
4. The artichoke pizza is like creamy artichoke dip on crispy doughy bread. It was very novel, very delicious, and I will go back for more. I wish the crust were thinner, but the artichoke and cream sauce goes well with a doughier crust as well. 
5. Can their pizza get any more oily?? Be prepared to use 1/2 dozen+ napkins to soak up all the excess oil. 
6. $5 a slice and $30 a pie?? A splurge, but definitely a 2am crowd pleaser. 
7. This place is known for fried oreos and delivers until 4:45am? Amazeballs. 
8. I LOVE NEW YORK. 

Artichoke Basille's Pizza & Brewery 
328 East 14th Street
New York, NY

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee