Annual Earth Day Pesto


HAPPY 4/20. My day to celebrate all things green that grow from our wonderful earth. I hope y'all take a moment of gratitude for all of earth's glorious bounty. And groove to Bob Marley. 

I've posted pesto recipes before for 4/20, including a more traditional pesto and an avocado pesto, but this one is California-fied, like all my other recent recipes since moving to LA. Soaking up the culture. To celebrate the magnificent cannabis plant, this green pesto recipe includes hemp seeds, a wonderful nut that is omega 3 packed! This pesto is also completely plant based, though adding parmesan is definitely an option. 

In making pesto all these years, I realized that you really can't go wrong with mixing in different herbs and greens to make a delicious sauce. This rendition includes the traditional basil, but I've also made a pesto before with arugula and wheat grass because basil is hard to get out here in the desert. Like with all my other recent recipes, I offer you the same parting advice: it will be delicious as long as your ingredients are fresh and you prepare it with love. 

And why yes, this is 2 posts in a row featuring PASTA. Though this is no pasta recipe, I must admit that pasta is probably my favorite pesto carrier, shortly followed by egg toast. 

Infamous cauliflower gnocchi - pan fry then mix in pesto

4/20 Pesto (serves 6) 
1 bunch basil
2 c arugula 
1/4 c hemp seeds
1/4 c walnuts 
1/4 c olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp Cajun spice
lemon zest 

1. Blend all ingredients together until smooth - add more olive oil 1 tsp at time until reaching desired consistency 






Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee