Whole wheat flax seed no knead bread


I'm a bread baker now. It's been an arduous learning process, but it's been completely worth it. I have not purchased a single loaf of bread since I've picked up this new skill. Yes, homemade bread is that life changing. I feel as if I've joined an elite force now that my bread comes out the way it does. 

I mean, LOOK AT IT. Check the crust, peep the air pockets. It's as crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside as it looks. All it takes is a little bit of timing and patience.

Now I must give credit where credit is due. Firstly to my lovely trans cat sitter for introducing me to the wondrous world of bread baking. And then to Mark Bittman for sharing Sullivan Street Bakery's no knead bread recipe with the New York Times. 

On to the bread. In the original recipe, there's only dry 3 ingredients - flour, salt, and yeast - it's incredibly approachable for novice bakers with a dutch oven and a highly recommended food scale. I of course added whole wheat and flax seed to make it dietitian approved. It's easily customizeable. One time my grandma requested a loaf with walnuts and raisins, so I baked her one and flew it with me to New York. I'm also experimenting with a sourdough version, but my starter, Sensation, is fickle, so I'm waiting for the weather to get warmer. Soon. 

This no knead bread is an unconventional shortcut. It requires minimal amounts of effort and just a tad of patience. Its incubation period is at least 20 hours. The time allows for the bacteria to work the gluten, allowing the bread to rise and create intricate air tunnels through the dough. Trust me, worth the wait. 



Whole wheat flax seed no knead bread
250 gm / 2 c bread flour 
150 gm / 1 c whole wheat flour 
200 gm / 1 1/3 c water
30 gm / 2 tbsp flax seed 
6 gm / 1 tsp salt 
1 gm / 1/4 tsp yeast 
corn meal flour, dusting 

1. Mix 20 gm / 1/3 c of warm water (should feel comfortable against your skin) with the yeast for ~10 minutes, a layer of bubbles will form (it's alive!) 
2. In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients 
3. Add live yeast to remaining water and slowly incorporate into flour mixture until a shaggy texture forms 
4. Seal container and allow to rest for 16-24 hours 
... 
5. Use your hand to form dough into a ball and place into bowl
6. Allow dough to rest for 1-4 hours 
...
7. Preheat oven to 450F with dutch oven inside 
8. Carefully remove dutch oven, sprinkle bottom with corn meal flour and transfer bread into dutch oven, top bread with corn meal flour dusting 
9. Replace the cover and bake for 25 minutes
10. Remove cover and bake for 15 minutes 
11. Allow to cool (~1 hour) before slicing 

Pro-tip: Store in the fridge and warm at 250F for 2-3 minutes before seving 


Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee