Purple congee


Congee is the ultimate comfort food. When I was growing up, there was always plain rice porridge when I was feeling under the weather. My Chiu Chow grandparents have congee for breakfast every morning (goals), and I was converted after my recent trip to China. It's so simple to make and a great use of leftover rice.

My new year resolution was to have congee for breakfast every day. Obviously my resolution did not work out, and I do not have congee for breakfast every day, but this recipe is now in my arsenal, and I make it about once a month. A quart can feed me 8-10 meals. The different types of rice and the variety of beans make for a dense cauldron of goodness that is health packed. The brown rice makes it fibrous, the sticky rice makes is soothing, and the beans provide protein. 

Congee is a labor of love. It's extremely easy, but the brewing process takes patience. You got to check on it pretty often to prevent the bottom from burning. And I enjoy my congee extra thick, so that's even more time and attention. So good, so comforting. It goes well with everything. 



Purple congee (serves 16)
1 cup brown rice
1 cup sticky black rice*
1/4 cup barley 
1/4 cup millet
1/4 cup soy beans**
1/4 cup red beans**
1/4 cup green beans**
1/4 cup pinto beans**

*soak for at least 30 min before cooking
**soak for at least 12 hours before cooking

1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil
2. Add beans and simmer for an hour
3. Add remaining ingredients with an additional 4 cups of water
4. Simmer for 1-1.5 hours, mixing every 10-20 minutes, adding additional 1/2 cup water if congee is too thick but not yet cooked through
5. Remove from heat when desired consistency reached 

Pro tip: Freeze half and reheat (by steaming or stovetop) 1 serving with 2-3 additional spoonfuls of water 

Popular Posts