Coca-Cola Braised Collard Greens

Monday remedy: red beans, alligator sausage pasta,
herb roasted parmesan cauliflower, and collard greens.

When I was in Atlanta with my family back in August, I did the necessary pilgrimages to the Georgia Aquarium and Coca Cola World. At the end of the tour, we were given free bottles of Coke. I've had them in my fridge since then for a rainy day, but I just really don't drink soda. I also hate to see things go to waste, so I had to get creative. Living in the south, I eat a lot of foods that aren't common or regional to.. New York City. But because I'm working on the full immersion, I made a delicious recipe to incorporate all this southern greatness into my life. 

Coca-Cola Braised Collard Greens (serves 4-6)
2 bunches collard greens, ribbed and chopped
1 sweet onion, chopped
3 tbs canola oil
8 oz Coca-Cola
4 tbs balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper 

1. Sautee the chopped onion with canola oil on high heat. Once browned, mix in collard greens. 
2. Once greens are cooking and bright green, add Coca-Cola, balsamic vinegar, and salt/pepper. 
3. Simmer on low heat for 25-30 min, stirring occasionally (every 5 minutes). Cook until desired tenderness. 






Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee