Alligator Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Orecchiette


It's official. This is the third time I've posted a variation of this recipe. This is my rainy or cold day go-to lazy done in 15 minutes recipe: alligator sausage broccoli rabe orecchiette. It all started with the original Italian sausage at a New Year's Eve party in Long Island and then a another with lamb sausage from a farm in New England. So now that I'm in New Orleans, I undoubtedly needed to whip up a batch when I found alligator sausage at my local Winn Dixie's. 

This week for my rotations, I have been working at Ochsner cardiac rehab. I had to teach a class of patients about fiber and how to increase fiber in the diet. As y'all know, fiber is found in whole grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, and seeds and helps your intestines in maintaining digestive health. One of the main teaching points was the incorporate fiber into every meal and snack, so for a pasta recipe, you can try using whole wheat pasta or including vegetables in the sauce. In this case, I used broccoli rabe (1 cup cooked, 6.6 gm of fiber) and snow peas (1/2 cup cooked, 3.5 gm of fiber). It adds texture, color, and flavor into the dish. 

Alligator Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Orecchiette
6 oz alligator sausage, uncased and cut into half inch pieces
6 oz orecchiette
1 bunch broccoli rabe, chopped
1 cup snow peas (I used frozen) 
5 cloves of garlic, diced
6 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Bring a pot of water to boil for the orecchiette, remember to salt the water. Once it is cooked, drain it and toss with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
2. In a pan heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil with the garlic and shallots.
3. Once browned, add the cut sausage. When the sausage is about half cooked, insert the broccoli rabe. Sautee until cooked.
4. Add the pasta and peas to the sausage and broccoli rabe and toss until thoroughly mixed.
5. Add fresh black pepper to taste.

✓ fiber
✓ vegetables
✓ protein 
✓ unsaturated fats 


Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee