Muji Pasta: Cod Roe


Did you know that the Muji's in Asia sell a lot more than just stationary? When I was in Hong Kong this summer, I picked up a few packs of their instant sauce kits, and I finally got around to trying them.

Muji offers a bunch of instant mixes ranging from ice cream to pumpkin scones. Here are the few pasta sauces that I purchased: cod roe, arrabbiata, urchin cream, and porcini.

Today I tried the cod roe pasta sauce. Roe is fish egg, and is eaten most commonly, I find, in Japan. It is salty by nature, and therefore has a rather high sodium content. I decided to pair it with mini spinach wheel pasta (it was the only thing I had, I wish I had some linguini), a fresh chopped tomato, and three cloves of minced garlic.

I boiled about 100g of the pasta in water with 2 teaspoons of salt, and sauteed the garlic and the tomato with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a separate pan. I then added the cod roe sauce to the tomatoes and garlic, and then mixed in the cooked and drained pasta. Finally, I sprinkled the accompany packet of dried seaweed on top of the pasta dish and mixed it all together in a small bowl.

The sauce, as I expected, was a bit on the salty side, so I would probably use more pasta or add less salt while boiling the pasta. Adding the tomatoes were a great touch, I only wish I had more materials to work with.

Oh well, quick and easy study-break lunch!








Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee