PO-BOYS PO-BOYS PO-BOYS

NOLA Po-boys | 908 Bourbon Street New Orleans, LA

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty pissed that I was not informed that yesterday was national sandwich day. I talk about sandwiches and how much I love eating sandwiches all the time. But good thing I have this innate intuition and got myself a fried oyster po-boy yesterday instead of the staple Monday red beans and rice.

Now let me tell you how much I love po-boys. Every since I moved to New Orleans, I must've eaten three of them a week for the first two weeks. It was becoming a little too much, so now I average once a week. But at least all them po-boys got me started on my current exercise grind. Po-boys are obscenely simple. All you need is some fresh French bread, fried seafood, and I preferred mine dressed, so smother on that mayonnaise with some lettuce and tomato. That's it. There are of course variations that set apart the amateurs from the big leagues, such as the Sriracha/Tabasco mayonnaise the toasted bread, the melted American cheese, or the blackened catfish. But really, unless the bread is horrendously stale, a po-boy is always what I need. Here's a quick list of some of the po-boys I've eaten in the past two and a half months. I still have a many places I need to hit up, so this is by no means a comprehensive list. Also there's no ranking yet, but when I have the best po-boy of my life, I will be sure to make it known.


  • Acme Oyster House - Peacemaker po-boy for the win. Fried shrimp and oyster with tabasco mayo. All you need is this with a gumbo and some charbroiled oysters. 
  • Domilise's Po-boy & Bar- This place has raving reviews, but I'll be the first to admit that it's overrated and over priced. Though there was more than enough shrimp to fir another half a sandwich, the bread was tough. Unrelated: their dressing includes mustard. 
  • Joey K's - I had a fried catfish and shrimp po-boy and it was delicious, but I do wish I tried their local specials instead. Will be sure to visit again. 
  • Guy's Po-boys - Get the bomb. Grilled catfish and shrimp with melted cheese on their thin tender loaf. It's the bomb. 
  • NOLA Po-boys - Had a great fried crawfish po-boy, but the real highlight was Henok's vegetarian po-boy made with sauteed vegetables. 
  • Sandwich World - I was out in the middle of nowhere and needed a po-boy fix, and this was just on the side of the road. My shrimp po-boy was overflowing and I devoured more than half of it in my car before my drive back downtown. This place loves LSU. 
  • Stanley Restaurant - This one is special because I always get the eggs Stanley on French bread. Their fried oysters are on point. 


Domilise's Po-boy and Bar | 5240 Annunciation Street New Orleans, LA

Guy's Po-Boys | 5259 Magazine Street New Orleans, LA

Stanley Restaurant | 547 Saint Ann Street New Orleans, LA

Sandwich World | 10800 Highway 3125 Gramercy, LA

Acme Oyster House | 724 Iberville Street New Orleans, LA

Joey K's | 3001 Magazine Street New Orleans, LA

Always having a good time when I'm with a po-boy. 

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee