Pineapple ginger soy marinated wings

The best part about a homemade meal is the leftovers for tomorrow's lunch!

When I was a kid, every time my mom asked me what I wanted for dinner, I would respond with marinated wings. Who wouldn't like savory tender chicken wings with meat that comes right off the bones? The pineapple adds a little sweet and sour, and the ginger provides a mean kick.  Yup, this is all I wanted to eat every day of second grade. 

Last week, I prepared Regen a home cooked Chinese meal that included a lesson on how to hold chopsticks. I made black pepper beef with bell peppers, sauteed Shanghai bok choy, and my favorite chicken wing recipe served (upon his request) with brown rice. It was a much needed comfort food dinner. My mom probably hasn't made this recipe in more than decade, so I drew upon her usual kitchen flavors and pretty much improvised until I got the taste that I distinctly remember from my younger years. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do! 

Pineapple ginger soy marinated wings
1 lb chicken wings
1 8oz can sliced pineapple in juice, cut
6 cloves garlic, slivered
1 knob ginger, sliced
2 tbs canola oil
1/2 cup chicken broth

*Chicken marinade: 
3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs dark soy sauce
1/3 cup shaoxing rice wine
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sesame oil


1. Leave wings in marinade in the refrigerator over night or for at least 8-12 hours. 
...
2. In a nonstick sauce pan, brown the ginger and garlic in canola oil on high heat. 
3. Add the wings and cook until it changes color or slightly seared. 
4. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer with lid slightly on. Mix in the pineapple once sauce is at a light boil. 
5. Simmer for about half an hour or until a utensil easily pokes through the meat. 

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee