Challah 西多士 / HK style french toast / Peanut butter challah french toast


This is what happens when you leave me alone in the kitchen too long. I will have full intentions of making french toast whilst day dreaming of peanut butter jelly sandwiches and then realize that peanut butter french toast is totally a thing you grew up eating in Hong Kong. Then I'll be making peanut butter challah sandwiches and frying them soaked in hemp milk batter because I'm California-fied. Who knew that peanut butter french toast would be such a perfect blend of all my identities. 

I've been dreaming of french toast (day dreaming about food is clearly a favorite frequent past time of mine) since I had that perfect Sunday morning with bae a couple weeks ago. We had a wake and bake bananas foster french toast feast. I knew we were meant to be when I realized how seamlessly we collaborate together in the kitchen to make every meal we have together epic. Dreams do come true. Even though not all Sunday mornings could be as perfect as that one, having french toast will guarantee brighten your day and satisfy your belly.





Peanut butter challah french toast  (serves 3-4)
1/2 loaf day old challah bread (about 8-10 thin slices) 
4-5 tbsp peanut butter* 
1 cup milk** 
2 large eggs 
1/4 c oil***
1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
1 tsp cinnamon 
to serve: maple syrup 

1. Assemble all challah into peanut butter sandwiches 
 - (each sandwich: 2 slices of bread and 1 tbsp of peanut butter)
2. In a deep dish, mix together milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and cinnamon 
3. Dip challah into milk mixture and allow to soak for 2-5 minutes
3. In a deep skillet on medium low heat, add oil
4. Fry both sides of peanut butter challah sandwiches in pan until golden brown 
5. Serve with maple syrup  


*feel free to use any preferred nut or seed butter
**I used my homemade hemp milk
***I used peanut, also recommend grapeseed or avocado

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee