Festive holiday salad with candied walnuts


The first time Andy cooked for me, he made a colorful mixed veggie stew over rice and a surprisingly intricate arugula salad with apple, red bell pepper, cucumber, red onion, blue cheese, cranberries, and more. I was astounded. First of all, I'm used to being the head chef, but all I had to do that night was prepare the lemon for the salad dressing. So of course when I got the chance to cook for him, I had to get a little extra. 

Everyday Linda has a cherry tomato salad and arugula topped with olive oil + balsamic vinegar. Extra Linda makes extravagant salads with more than a dozen ingredients all with varied preparation methods. If you take away anything from this recipe, just know that all delicious things come from the heart. And this salad was created by choosing ingredients that are healthful, delicious, and beautiful to feed a healthful, delicious, beautiful soul. 

If you know me, you know I love fresh seasonal fruit and veggies! I will walk circles around a farmers market until I find the proper produce that catches my attention. To me, the most important part of a salad (and pretty much all amazing cooking) is how fresh the ingredients are. Beyond that, you really can toss whatever you please in the mix. 

I prefer creating a balance of textures and flavors. In this winter mix, I used blood orange  and candied walnuts for sweetness. Pomegranate seeds for acidity. And radish and bell peppers for crunch. Clearly got a color scheme going on here as well. Remember, festive! So it only makes sense to top it off with a truffle cheese to give the whole thing a little extra something something. 

For dressing, I always keep it simple. Instead of my typical olive oil + balsamic vinegar, I made a honey dijon mustard dressing to go with our  "French" dinner of ratatouille (why, oui, I'm a chef, and I'm cultured). Back when I studied abroad in France, the house dressing was always dijon mustard based, so I just added my own touch of honey for my honey. 

Watching Andy enjoy every bite of his heaping plates of salad was worth every moment of preparation. I knew he was the one when he cooked me all vegetables, but wow his appreciation for them is next level. I'm grateful to have someone so in tune with mindful eating in my life. 

Enjoy the recipe, share it with all your loved ones during the holidays, and be merry and shine bright.


Festive holiday salad (serves 4-6)
6 c mixed salad greens
1 small bell pepper, sliced 
6-8 radishes, sliced 
1 blood orange, cut into small chunks 
1 cup candied walnuts* 
6 oz truffle cheese
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
honey mustard dressing**

1. Place all ingredients in a large salad bowl in order in which they are listed (except honey mustard dressing)
2. To serve, toss salad with desired amount of dressing or serve dressing on the side 

*Candied walnuts
1 c walnuts
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp salt 

1. Preheat toaster oven to 325F
2. Combine all ingredients together, bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned, mix every 5 minutes to prevent burning  

**Honey mustard dressing 
1/2 c olive oil
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp honey
1 tsp apple cider vinegar 
1/4 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp black pepper 

1. Mix all ingredients together to serve


Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee