Avocado Himbasha Toast


I eat a lot of avocado toast for breakfast. Avocados are always 10/$10 these days, so I always keep my kitchen stocked with a couple for mornings when I just don't want to bother. My typical to-go breakfast is a toasted whole wheat English muffin with half an avocado and a dash of Slap Ya Mama with a side of cherry tomatoes or a handful of arugula. Savory breakfasts for the win. It's a dose of whole grains, fiber, and unsaturated fats, which will keep you satisfied and running until lunch time for sure. 

When I was in Atlanta, Henok made sure that we bought a loaf of himbasha before our drive back to New Orleans. Himbasha is an Ethiopian bread that is slightly sweet and consumed during special occasions. It comes in a large wheel and can be made with raisins. It's light and airy and slightly reminiscent of one of my favorite breads, challah. I had a lot of himbasha, so I made a list of variations ranging from egg in a hole to pb &j. But my favorite of course was himbasha with a fresh sliced creamy avocado. I love mornings. 

Avocado Himbasha Toast
1 slice himbasha (or your choice of whole grain bread)
1/2 avocado*
pinch of Cajun spices
optional: 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, 1 cup arugula/salad 

1. Toast bread. 
2. Spread sliced avocado on toast. Feel free to mash!
3. Sprinkle with a pinch of spices and serve with tomatoes or salad. 

*I wrap the other half of the avocado with the pit and leave in the fridge for another morning. The whole pit helps prevent some of the browning! 

✓ fiber
✓ potassium 
✓ unsaturated fats 



Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee