Market by Jean Georges revisited, Boston

I had the opportunity to revisit Jean Georges' Market last month. I must admit that there was a very noticeable improvement in everything ranging from flavors, ingredients, to presentation. 

There was some confusion when the hostess told me that my name was not listed for a reservation that I definitely made, but the rest of the night went very smoothly and management was extremely attentive. I went with my friend Rich, and we both decided to go for the Market menu, which is very moderately priced at $59.

We started with  Maine diver scallops served over crunchy rice and a very tasty chipotle emulsion. I think this was my favorite course, for there was a great balance of temperature and textures.  

Then came the butternut squash bisque, that had the nice addition of pumpkin seeds. 

The Atlantic salmon was also enjoyable, and had this glaze that I couldn't quite name. It was very familiar, yet never have I ever tried it paired with an entree. It was sweet with a nice kick of tang. I asked the waitress what it was, and she told me it was ginger. I was certain that it wasn't. I guessed passion fruit, and now in rereading the menu, I realize that it is. It was a very novel sauce, though I don't know if it's something I can eat in a larger portion. 

The soy glazed shortribs were not as tender or moist as I would've liked, but it was still enjoyable. 

I must admit, I wasn't anticipating dessert too much, for it was a simple sundae, but I definitely ended up enjoying it a lot. The caramel popcorn and peanuts added a great touch to the caramel ice cream sundae. I definitely could've used seconds on the single oversized scoop of ice cream.

Overall, I must admit that this was quite a step up from my initial dining experience. I would recommend the Market Menu for anyone wanting to try Jean Geroges' without making too much of a dent in your wallet. I definitely plan on trying The Mark Restaurant on the Upper East Side in the near future. 

Market
100 Stuart Street
Boston, MA 02116

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee