East African experience

 

I just got back from my first visit to safaris in Tanzania and Kenya. It was overwhelming, cathartic, and utterly beautiful. The magnitude of Great Nature and the seemingly endless numbers of large mammals were shocking, stunning, and breathtaking. Witnessing the circle of life firsthand was absolutely humbling and a generous reminder of how nature is perfect. 

When I got back, everyone would ask these questions in this exact order: How was Africa? ... how was the food? I can only speak from my limited experience, and I must say that I regretfully did not have a single local meal (except the most delicious peppery cabbage stuffed veggie samosa at the Zanzibar airport). I was only in rural safari regions of Northern Tanzania and Southern Kenya for a little more than a week, and all the meals were provided at every lodging and hotel I was staying at. 

The food served at safari lodges are definitely catered towards a white western audience, and you already know I had to ask the chef to try some local dishes. The flavors were familiar - peppers, onions, light peppery seasonings. The staff definitely acknowledged me when I voluntarily ate ugali (stiff maize porridge) with my hands. The breakfast was all around very much British influenced, and I was surprised by the amount of chapati that was served (and advised to use as a taco). Coffee was splendid, and baked goods were bountiful. 

I loved spending so much time outdoors. Off roading daily for game rides, eating our meals out in the bush and under the stars, glamping by herds of ungulates... nature was always surrounding us. Beyond blessed. 

Wildebeests in Ngorongoro Crater

Passionate from Zanzibar

Coffee fields in Arusha




Family of elephants in Masai Mara


Food prep at our Serengeti glamp grounds



Water buffalo crossing in Ngorongoro Crater

Local honey by the Maasai 






Zebras at our camp





Africa's deadliest mammals: hippos!






Breakfast in Masai Mara




Breakfast in Masai Mara




Bush dinner!


Early morning in the Serengeti





Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee