Case of the leftovers: breakfast hash


Happy Easter! As y'all know, I am the leftover queen (case 1, 2, 3). I hate to see good food go to waste, so in honor of Easter and resurrection, here's a recipe of a bunch of leftovers I had in my fridge brought back to life as this beautiful breakfast hash. 

Last weekend, my cousins brought me to eat at the Original Pantry Cafe in DTLA (Downtown Los Angeles). It's one of those very old school menu on the wall, pay at the door, cash only, 24 hr joints that's just a LA staple. Let me tell you how the thick cut buttered sourdough toast just blew my mind away. It was just inexplicably good. And yes, it was just simple thick cut buttered sourdough toast. That's it. Needless to say there are none of those leftover, but I couldn't finish my bacon and homefries because sourdough toast. 

A few evenings ago, my niece and I spent the afternoon exploring the Arts District and after what seemed like endless miles of meandering, we finally made it back to my place to whip up a quick dinner and some necessary fresh mango margaritas. I bought a rotisserie chicken, which I shredded the breast and tossed it with homemade pesto, arugula, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella balls. It was delicious, and we even made it in time to get taiyaki (fish shaped cake traditionally filled with red bean) soft serve sundaes. 

Which finally brings us to this hash. Part Pantry, part chicken salad, all delicious. As always, feel free to free style. 

... how do you all feel about my recent slew of no-recipe recipes? Just got to go with the flow always. 


Breakfast hash (serves 2)
1 cup cooked potatoes
1/4 cup cooked chicken, shredded
2 slices bacon, minced
1/4 cup mozzarella, sliced or shredded
2 sprigs green onion, diced 
2 eggs, beat 
1 tbsp olive oil

Optional: serve with Crystal hot sauce (my favorite) or balsamic vinegar 

1. Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add bottom half (white portion) of green onion and bacon. Once sizzling and browning, add chicken and potatoes 
2. As everything in the pan becomes a nice golden brown color, turn the heat down to medium low and immerse the pan with egg
3. As the edges of the egg start to crisp, top with mozzarella. 
4. Dare to flip! 
5. Sprinkle with green onion tops and serve immediately over arugula



Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee