Linda's bouillabaisse moqueca fish stew


This is neither a true bouillabaisse nor moqueca recipe. This is a recipe inspired by my many years of savoring hearty seafood soups. A tomato base was a very common theme, as was some sort of cream base. For my stew, I first created a stock with the shells and heads of freshly peeled Louisiana shrimp and vegetables before mixing in the okra as my thickener and coconut milk as my creamer. This slow cooked in the Dutch oven (so temped to call it my Dutch baby) for hours (then more hours the next day) before finally adding the fish and shrimp before serving and fresh cilantro for garnish. I scooped two jars for the freezer (leftovers always) and enjoyed the rest of the pot with thick sliced country bread and cheese. I love fall. 

Linda's bouillabaisse moqueca fish stew
1 lb fresh whole shrimp, peeled and deveined (separate peel+heads, store/refrigerate meat)
1/2 lb meaty fish, cut (I used redfish)
1/2 lb fatty fish, cut (I used slamon)
2 cups red sauce or chopped tomatoes
6 oz coconut milk
6 oz white wine
1/2 cup black beans, presoaked for >12 hrs
1 cups okra, sliced
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 banana pepper, sliced
1 scotch bonnet pepper
3 cloves of garlic, whole
1 bay leaf
1 pinch saffron threads
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp Cajun spice
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp white pepper
2-3 tbsp olive oil
to serve: cilantro

1. In a Dutch oven, sautee onion, peppers, and garlic in olive oil
2. Once browned, add white wine. Mix in red sauce, coconut milk, shrimp peels and heads, and black beans. Bring to a boil
3. Add okra, spices, turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for 2 - 3 hours or until beans are cooked.
- at this point, you can choose to let it cool down overnight to let the flavors soak in, or just keep going-
4. Turn heat off, add fish and shrimp. Allow to insulate for 15-20 minutes
5. Garnish with cilantro and serve!

BONUS inspirational photo:


Life with a Dutch oven has been wonderful! I've just been gathering all leftovers and random fresh vegetables at the market and dumping it all into this lovely melting pot. Featured above is a turkey leg bone (majority of turkey meat went to cat food) stew with mirliton, kale, and chickpeas. Same tomato white wine base as my fish stew!

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee