My Japanese attempt: Miso Marinated Broiled Salmon

After my trip to Tokyo (shaburaw foods), I was inspired to purchase a Japanese cookbook. I was not so interested in sushi preparation; I wanted to learn about the use of fundamental ingredients and flavor pairings for typical cooked foods. Therefore I settled on Washoku: Recipe from the Japanese Home Kitchen by Elizabeth Andoh. The book pays great attention to "kitchen harmony" and the explanation and treatment of ingredients accompanied by few but inspiring photographs. It prepares a wide range of seasonal vegetables, fishes, and meats in ways that are achievable, though might require some time and lots of effort.

This is a recipe that I've used quite a number of times since I've purchased the book. However, I've altered it slightly because there are just some ingredients that I do not find practical to invest in (i.e. freeze dried yuzu peel). Furthermore, I've used mostly salmon filet because it is easy to come by, but definitely try this out with black cod, saberfish, or kingfish if you can come across it and if it fits in your budget.

From my Japanese kitchen: mixed mushrooms with ponzu dressing,
miso marinated broiled salmon, and homemade miso soup with enoki


Miso Marinated Broiled Salmon
1 1/2 lb salmon fillet with skin intact
Lemon wedges (optional)

Marinade:
3 tbs light miso
2 tbs mirin
2 tbs sake
1 tbs ponzu

1. Mix together the ingredients of the marinade.
2. After rinsing and patting dry the salmon filet, wrap it in a cheese cloth or surgical cloth.
3. Spread the marinade over the cloth and marinate for at least twenty minutes or in the refrigerator for up to an hour.
4. Preheat the broiler on medium-high.
5. Remove the cloth layer and place filet on an aluminum pan. Broil for 5-7 minutes or until the skin develops a golden color and the meat turns an opaque pink. Flip the filet and do the same for the other side.
6. Serve accompanied with lemon wedges and a steaming bowl of white short grain rice.


✓ omega 3 fatty acids
✓ protein
✓ low sodium
✓ low saturated fat
---
Also see, My French Attempt: Lamb Stew and Gratin Dauphinois 

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee