Magnificent Muffins & Bagels, Somerville

Long wait on Saturday morning before Tufts' homecoming

Why, yes. That was quite a mouthful. Magnificent Muffins & Bagels. Let's just call it MagMuff. What a glorious name for a tiny breakfast stand in the middle of Teele Square. One of my biggest adjustments from living in New York to Boston is the lack of delis. Yes, that's right. I RELY ON DELIS. Who doesn't? Who wouldn't want a nice sausage, egg, and cheese on a bialy with a small black coffee on Monday mornings? Or every weekday morning? So I thought all hope was lost... until I was introduced to Magnificent. Not only does MagMuff have super affordable breakfast sandwiches, bomb iced coffee, and actually magnificent muffins, BUT THEIR BAGELS ARE ALSO SO SO LEGIT. I tell you, it's not easy to get a quality bagel in these streets. 

About their magnificent muffins: for the chocolate chip, the muffin top tastes like an actual chocolate chip cookie. Then the core of the muffin is always moist and never lacking chocolate chip in every bite. I don't even like chocolate chipped things ... or muffins! 

If you're in Teele Square (let's be honest, it can't be that often), and it's before noon, you must stop by here for a breakfast bagel sandwich. It's a sad day when you walk in at 11:45am and all the bagels are gone and you have to settle for Renee's (okay, their omelets are quite good) or Dunkin (not going unless you buy me 50 Munchkins). 

My usual order? A tomato, egg, and cheese (also with sausage when I'm good) on a scooped out* everything (or spinach!) bagel with a medium iced coffee and a chocolate chip (or cinnamon French toast) muffin (don't judge me... it's for snack). 

*I've come to realize that most people have no idea what a scooped out bagel is. Maybe it's a New York City all girl school thing, but basically, when you slice a bagel in half and rip out the "meat," that's a scooped out bagel. A typical bagel can be as much as 3-5 servings of carbohydrates a day (1 serving= 1 slice of bread, USDA recommends 6 servings a day), so gotta do. 



Indeed they do have the best sandwiches in the city!

check out all the bagel choices

breakfast in the library (sorry, Tufts.)

Why Mag Muff is special to me: 
When I was a senior in college (why was that so long ago?), my suite mates and I would always try to make it to MagMuff before noon every weekend. I know, that sounds ridiculous, but when you're up until 5 or 6 every night, waking up before noon is a serious feat. Sometimes we would wake up at 11:30 and rush there to grab a few sandwiches, head back to bed, then all have breakfast together in a few hours. 
OR if we were up until 6 or 7, we would drive there on cold winter mornings and be the first ones there to grab their fresh muffins for breakfast. 
AND There were also many mornings where I would wake up to find a muffin and iced coffee on my desk, courtesy of Nikki who seemed to always get breakfast there, and those would be the best mornings. 

Well, even though I'm not in college anymore, the same staff is still working there, and their sandwiches are still just as delicious. Definitely worth waking up for. 

Magnificent Muffins & Bagels
1118 Broadway
Somerville, MA 02144

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee