Kopitiam: my favorite Malaysian cafe

 


I've been saying this for a minute now, but maybe not loud enough: KOPITIAM IS MY FAVORITE CAFE. The Malaysian / Singaporean style of rich filtered drip coffee is just so. good. Kopi C for classic and Kopi Tarik for when I want some sweetness. 

I've really been contemplating recently whether or not cafe culture is dead. It hasn't been the same since the pandemic. Where did the quiet cafes lined with people doing work, catching up, and people watching go? I long for walking in to a cozy independent cafe to grab a drink just to pass some time. Maybe they're still there, but I've changed, and I no longer have the luxury to experience this. 

I love me a cafe that serves a real meal. I'm not just talking about pastries and cold sandwiches. I want a hot rice plate to warm my belly, followed by fresh coffee to wash it down. This is why I am so grateful for Kopitiam. They have sweet and savory snacks and plenty of quick (when there's not a wait out the door) meal options to choose from. And of course their KOPI (coffee). So rich and fragrant and robust. Pairs perfectly with their popular kaya (coconut jam) butter toast or their sweet and salty kuih talam (sea salt coconut pandan treat).  

Oyster pancake is my weakness, so I've ordered that with coconut rice a couple of times. I always get the fish ball soup. The clear broth is flavorful and topped with fried shallots and fresh scallions. The nasi lemak (coconut rice, fried anchovies, peanuts, cucumber, hard boiled egg, house sambal sauce) sends my taste buds straight to SE Asia and same with the water spinach sauteed in sambal.  

This cafe is such a treat. It gets crowded on the weekends though, so try to visit during the week! 







Kopitiam
151 E Broadway
New York, NY

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee