Guilty pleasures of LA


To be honest, I've been quite disappointed by LA's food scene. Like most things out here, it's all hype and waiting in line. And coming from New Orleans where there are no lines and the food is guaranteed fire, well let's just say it was quite an adjustment I'm still getting used to. However, I've been here for about a year now and have found a few gems that are worth the drive and even the wait. I mean, sometimes a girl just needs some comfort food to dull her from the horrendous traffic and constant commuting that is life in Los Angeles. Below are my picks for if you want something fried, greasy, and heart warming. Warning: not dietitian approved, but could be part of a balanced lifestyle. 

Billionaire Burger Boyz - I've tracked down this food truck across South LA more times than I would like to admit, but let me tell you how irresistible their wings are. These are definitely the best wings I've had on the west coast. They're fat, juicy, seasoned, crispy, and ideally dripping in their mouth watering Cajun honey butter sauce. Their veggie burger is also my favorite vegetarian burger I've had thus far (and I've had many out here, Impossible or nah). But skip the jambalaya fries. They're a bit flaccid and chunks of chicken, shrimp, and unmelted cheese just don't meld together. The wings doe; get the wings. 

California Donuts 3540 W 3rd St - I was hesitant on including this on the list because they're not the best donuts I've ever had, but they're in the neighborhood and they make the cutest doughnuts and I don't know why LA and doughnuts are a thing. The line tends to be long, but it moves quick. Visually, their doughnuts will guarantee be a crowd pleaser. Texturally, they're a bit on the doughy side. Except for the apple fritter, of course, which conveniently is also my forever pick. 

Dulan's Soul Food Kitchen 4859 Crenshaw Blvd - I've been to two of their locations and both times have gotten the smothered chicken because that gravy is that good. The mac and cheese is on the creamy side, and the sweet potato is so sweet you have to treat it like dessert, but man are the cornbread muffins that come with your meal perfect. 

The Serving Spoon 1403 Centinela Ave - This is the best breakfast I've had in LA. They got eggs, they got grits, they got grilled cornbread, they got fried catfish, and they got free champagne on Sundays. Really what more can you ask for? But go early or on a weekday because the lines are real. 

Yang Chow 819 N Broadway - The Chinese food they serve here is for Americans, but you know I love my Chinese American food dearly, so I keep coming back. The only thing you need to know on the menu is the slippery shrimp. Battered, fried, and coated with a sweet and tangy sauce. 


Check out the Cajun honey butter glisten on the Billionaire Burger Boyz wings

Don't these California Donuts just tug at your heart strings?

Classic goodness at Dulan's Soul Food Kitchen

The perfect breakfast at The Serving Spoon

The famous slippery shrimp at Yang Chow's in Chinatown

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee