Northern Thailand


Thailand, the Land of Smiles. I was ever so grateful to be able to travel to Thailand over the holidays to spend new years with my family. It was our first time in the northern parts, and it was a heart opening experience. We visited temples ancient and new in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. We went to a few tourist shopping traps, sat in cages with tigers, and bathed water buffalo. We learned how to grow rice and how to respectfully be with elephants. And through it all, we ate loads of jasmine rice, rice noodle soup, crispy pork belly, fried omelets, and my newfound love: coconut cream hotcakes. Thailand has the most fragrant rice and the sweetest fruit I have ever tasted. Words and photos do not do justice to my magical time in this mystical land. I recommend Thailand to everyone, but now especially the humble north. 

Classics: chicken satay and crispy veggie spring rolls
Chiang Mai Old City
Free coffee atop Doi Inthanon
Tourist trap meal at Doi Inthanon with delicious fried fish and veggie meatball soup
Chiang Mai Old City
Hmong markets featuring the sweetest strawberries ever
Lunch at Khao Soi Wulai

Roadside pad kra prao
Fresh market herbs and chilis 
Roast pork and braised pork rice plates
Endless floral mandalas
Coconut cream hotcakes, my favorite was green onion
Linda + Longda <3


Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee