Thanksgiving turkey leftovers bone broth


Happy December! Hope everyone had as splendidly lit a Thanksgiving as I did. Highlights included a delightful cheese platter with not enough baguette, four cheese lobster mac and cheese, abalone jambalaya, Bill's first time green bean casserole, and of course my mom's classic steamed king crab legs. The evening after, my family always hosts a Friendsgiving where we eat remade leftovers and Chinese food. My mom always tosses the leftover bones and meats from Thanksgiving into*  her largest stock pot to simmer up some bone broth for Friendsgiving. This year we had endless leftovers from our 2 Popeyes turkeys*, so I was able to fly some back with me to LA (yes, I'm that person getting checked at security always). 

Back in LA, I threw together carrots from an Imperfect Produce box, some frozen corn on the cob (I love the sweet flavor of corn when paired with poultry), and Chinese herbs with all the leftover turkey that I didn't finish eating.  It came out so clear and heart warming. Here's the recipe, feel free to substitute with a fresh or leftover chicken and add other vegetables! I was wishing I had a mirliton. 

Thanksgiving turkey leftovers bone broth (serve 8-12)
2 lb turkey bones
2 medium carrots
2 corn on a cob
2 tomatoes, quartered 
4 slices dried Chinese yam
2 Chinese honey date
12 goji berries 

1. Rinse and soak all dried goods
2. In a large stockpot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil.
3. Once a rolling boil, insert turkey bones. 
4. Once water comes to another boil, turn heat to low and add vegetables and dried goods.
5. Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours. 


*For the past 2 years, my family has had Popeyes turkeys on the table for Thanksgiving. It's $40, takes 90 minutes to heat up, and is oh so juicy and Cajun spiced! 


Summer boil or Mama Yung's king crab legs and buttered corn

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee