Holiday season fruit salad and kitchen sink Christmas cookies


Holiday party season has been in full swing and there's still a few weeks of merry making on the way. With all the potluck and cookie exchanges and white elephants, I spent most of my weekend shopping and chopping away. I've become quite an expert at seasonal fruit salads, and let me tell you my California almost winter one does not disappoint. I can't explain why there are so many plums around this time of year, but they're my favorite, and I'm going to go with it. 

And if you know me, you already know that I'm the worst at baking because I don't follow instructions. I really tried this time. I picked out a recipe for cornflake cookies and decided to make them festive by adding cherries and cacao. Fine, already not following the recipe. Then I actually started putting it together and decided that 1 egg wasn't enough and I felt guilty using all white flour and I found all these spiced nuts in my fridge and there was this dark chocolate bar I found too bitter to eat... the result are my kitchen sink cookies. More precisely, they should be: Linda's cherry chocolate cacao cornflake Christmas cookies. But really kitchen sink is just as accurate. They're not pretty (because I didn't have brown sugar and prob because I don't follow instructions), but they damn sure were tastier than all the other store bought ones at the potluck. Really, I was so lowkey proud and surprised. It's hard to beat homemade! 




Holiday season fruit salad (serves 8)
6 plums, sliced 
1 Asian pear, sliced
3 clementines, peeled and sliced 
1/2 c pomegranate seeds
1 tsp lemon juice

1. Mix together all ingredients
2. Chill until ready to serve 
___________________________________________


Kitchen sink Christmas cookies (makes 48)
3 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oats
1 cup cornflakes, crushed
1 cup butter
1 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/2 avocado, 1/2 olive)
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried pitted cherries
1/2 cup pecans
2 tbsp cacao nibs
2 eggs
1 tbsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Cream together butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract
3. Incorporate vegetable oil
4. Mix in flour, oats, cornflakes, baking soda
5. Fold in chocolate chips, cherries, pecans, and cacao nibs until even
6. Space out walnut sized balls of dough on baking sheet, press down with fork
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes
8. Cool before transferring

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee