Oahu, Hawai'i

"Best shrimp on the island" - from a local standing behind us in line,
expect to spend at least 2 hours here | Romy's

Last time I went to Hawai'l, I left proclaiming that it was my favorite state in the USA. Ten years later, I have to admit that Hawai'i did not fail to charm me again with its tropical climate, plentiful beaches, and Asian inspired comfort food. Though I didn't swim with sea turtles, walk on volcanoes, coddle sea horses, or island hop this time around, I did get to do a lot more exploring around Oahu. 

In addition to attending my cousin's wedding at Ko Olina, the goal was to do as much around the island outside of Honolulu as possible. I didn't fly all the way from a crowded city to vacation in another city. Surprisingly, my brother and I completed the majority of my ambitious itinerary - meaning we hit up 100% of the food spots I listed and about half the hikes and adventures I planned. Not too bad considering that we were running on full island time. The rainforest hike was way muddier than I expected, Valley of the Temples was one of the most awe inspiring resting grounds I've ever witnessed, and the oceans were just as blue as I remember. Only regrets (kind of, not really): missing the partial eclipse after sunrise on Monday and no rainbows! Next time, though. I know I'll be back again. Aloha! 

Cockroach Cove by Halona Blowhole

First meal and my favorite ahi poke thus far | Ono Seafood

Loved the taro bun at the luau buffet | Paradise Cove

I'll take all the katsu and shrimp tempura musubis | Masa and Joyce

Four Seasons at Ko Olina

Breakfast buffet spread with drip Kona coffee | La Hiki

Manoa Falls

Porkchop lunch special with bomb macaroni salad | He'eia Pier General Store

Byodo In Temple

Fresh fried malasadas - doughnut's breadier cousins | Agnes Portugese Bake Shop

Wedding catered by Honolulu's famous Chef Chai 

Fancy ahi poke with crispy rice crackers | MW Restaurant

Waiting for bullet matcha on the North Shore | Sunrise Shack

Much inspired, will definitely go home and make my own papaya bowls | Sunrise Shack

Pre-paddle boarding breakfast on the beach - we will take all the spam
musubis and papayas please | ABC Stores

Final meal! Loved the butter fish in gravy and watercress | Helena's Hawaiian Food


Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee