Camping and cooking: Yosemite National Park


I moved to the west coast to be closer to the mountains, the national parks, the hikes, and the adventures. Lucky for me, all my transcontinental aspirations are becoming realized thanks to good friends. This past weekend, we road tripped to Yosemite. It is as beautiful and as scenic as all the wallpapers and postcards boast it to be. The pines, the waterfalls, the granite formations were all breathtaking. Even more awe inspiring was the meteor shower. I saw 9 shooting stars and wisps of the milky way! I love falling asleep under the brightness of the moon and waking up surrounded by trees. But it also helps when your tummy is well fed and warm. My buddy Winston has all the gear for all the outdoor activities. For camping, he has a huge cooler, a portable double burner, and a shiny black skillet which all come in real handy for searing pork belly, whipping up fried rice, frying omelets, or toasting up corn bread. And obviously I did not forget to pack plenty of fruits and vegetables (and homemade fig jam). :)

For weekend trips, I definitely recommend putting the time in to prep your foods/meals before arriving at the camp site. Living in Ktown, it's easy for me to grab marinated meats for the crowd. It's delicious, tasty, and all you have to do is sear it over high heat. I also try to pack veggies that don't require much preparation (cucumbers, cherry tomatoes), and if they do require some peeling and chopping (onions, garlic, peppers, etc.), I do it all at home and pack them with me in containers ready to go in the skillet. Same with fruits! Even if it's an apple, it's easier to share if it's already sliced up, so definitely recommend preparing a fruit salad for the trip. Happy camping! 








Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee