LA Farmers Markets feat. Peaches x3


As I have already expressed my love for peaches, I will now officially declare my love for farmers markets. This is no newfound passion, but relocating has made me appreciate learning about local seasonal produce. Moving to LA, one of the first things I did was try to find the nearest one to me. I've visited quite a few in central LA at this point, however I haven't decided on my favorite yet. What I can tell you is my favorite is having peaches for sale. Nothing compares to the peaches in the south, but farmers market peaches are just always the best. I'll be listing all the markets I've been to then 3 peach recipes to try after the jump: peaches & greens grilled cheese, peach topped acai bowl, and toasted coconut peach granola. 

Echo Park - great Friday late afternoon vibes with a lovely live band. Lots of food trucks and street food, wish I didn't eat in the neighborhood right before coming through. Very impressed with the vegetable farmers and the variety of free samples. 

Hollywood - this is the largest farmers market I've ever been to. I must've spent 30 minutes simply walking around to check out all that there is to offer. Too crowded, had to pay for parking, definitely not my favorite. 

Larchmont Village - quite crowded with families, but there's free public parking! 

Los Feliz - this is the opposite of Hollywood. I love the small town vibe. Great restaurants, boutiques in the area, too. Definitely recommend checking this one out for all the staples if you don't want to spend too much time shopping. 

Silverlake - nice variety of vendors,, convenient but bustling location. Not a bad way to start a Saturday. 







Peaches & greens grilled cheese
2 slices bread of choice (sourdough or rye are my favorites)
2 oz soft / semi soft cheese (I prefer anything spreadable but also a little stinky - I always go by my nose) 
1/2 peace, thinly sliced
1/2 cup arugula 
1/2 tbsp olive oil

1. Place olive oil on skillet and heat on medium
2. Spread cheese on bread and place in skillet open faced
3. Once cheese begins to melt, press down on sandwich with a spatula and allow to melt together and toast until both sides golden brown 
______________________________________________

Peach topped acai bowl (for 2)
8 oz frozen acai 
1/2 cup frozen berries
2 Yakult 
1 tbsp chia seeds 
1 peach, sliced
1/4 cup fresh berries 
1/4 cup coconut flakes (optional: toast for 5 minutes at 350F) 

1. Blend together acai, frozen berries, Yakult and chia seeds
2. Pour into small bowls and top with peaches, fresh berries, and coconut flakes 
______________________________________________

Toasted coconut peach granola
2 cups steel cut oats 
1 cup nuts (I prefer walnuts or pecans)
1 tbsp honey 
4 slices dried peach, diced 
1/3 cup coconut flakes

1. Preheat oven 325F.
2. Mix together oats, nuts, and honey on a baking sheet 
3. Bake for 25 minutes, mixing once every 7-10 minutes
4. Mix in coconut flakes and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until golden brown, mixing every 5 minutes
5. Remove from oven and fold in diced dried peaches 
6. Serve on top of yogurt or as muesli

And of course when I can, I get the kitties a treat of quail eggs!

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee