I've never really used fresh cranberries before, but I figured I might as well try since 'tis the season. They're high in antioxidants, tart to taste, and have a brilliant color, making them a great addition to any holiday dish. I paired it with a slice of my apple cake and wow do you have a beautiful and heart healthy breakfast, snack, or dessert. Goes great with a steaming hot cup of tea, coffee, or cider. How versatile!
Apple cake1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp all spice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 apples, diced
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven 350F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and all spice.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together egg, olive oil, and vanilla extract. Add into dry ingredients. Incorporate well.
4. Fold in apples and pecans.
5. Pour batter into an oiled 9" square dish or your favorite cake pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
✓ whole grains
✓ unsaturated fats
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/3 cup orange juice, best if fresh squeezed
1 tbs maple syrup
1. In a small sauce pan, bring all ingredients to a low boil.
2. Remove from heat once cranberries are all popped and soft, about 10 minutes.
3. Serve warm or refrigerate to store.