Pesto arugula scrambled egg breakfast sandwich


Since I've been home in New York, I've visited Penelope a couple of times on slow weekday mornings or lazy almost summer afternoons. And since the first time I posted about Penelope, not much has changed on their menu and not much has changed in my order. I always go for their Penny egg sandwich, which is scrambled eggs with American cheese and pesto on an English muffin or croissant. It really is so simple, yet so good. To be honest I have not tried any other option on their breakfast menu. 

Well sometimes I just can't get myself to walk down the block to Penelope or it's just so not worth the wait, so I make my own rendition of their pesto egg sandwich. The ingredients are simple, and it really takes less than 5 minutes to put everything together. It's worth the time because once you have a great breakfast, you're pretty much guaranteed a great day to follow. 

Pesto arugula breakfast sandwich (serves 2)
3 eggs, beaten with a sprinkle of salt
1/4 cup milk 
1 tsp canola oil 
1 cup arugula 
2 slices whole wheat sourdough bread 
2 tsp pesto 
black pepper to taste 

1. Heat canola oil on a non-stick pan on low. Add the eggs and milk on to the pan and whisk slowly over low heat until cooked to your desired scrambled egg consistency. 
2. While eggs are slowly cooking, toast the sourdough bread.
3. Once toasted, spread a teaspoon of pesto and about 1/2 a cup of arugula onto each slice. 
4. Top with freshly scrambled eggs and top with black pepper to taste.
5. Serve with your fruit of choice! I used grapefruit slices and pomegranate seeds to add some contrast in color and flavor.

✓ protein
✓ vegetables
✓ whole grains
✓ fiber
 fruit



Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee