Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

Hello! My name is Linda, and I am notorious for not following the directions on recipes. I'm sure if you have ever baked anything with me, it usually doesn't work out the way it's supposed to. It's mostly because I'm too impatient to measure ingredients. So I really don't know what came over to make cookies with only a 2/3 cup measuring cup and a small spoon. Well actually, I wanted to use all the leftover ingredients in my cupboards before I moved out of Boston.



After emptying out my kitchen, I found that I had a lot of coconut flakes and chocolate chips, so I decided to follow a rough recipe for Anzac (Austrailian and New Zealand Army Corps) biscuits. Anzac biscuits are a popular Australian / New Zealand sweet made with rolled oats, coconut flakes, brown sugar, and golden syrup. The brown sugar and syrup caramelize, giving the biscuits a chewy texture. 

I first following the instructions, measuring out 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of light brown sugar, 1 cup of rolled oats, and a stick of unsalted butter, when I realized that the "1 cups" I was measuring was actually 2/3 of a cup. It really is quite difficult to precisely measure 1/3 cup of anything with just a 2/3 cup measuring tool, so I ended up just improvising it all. I just added more and more dry ingredients until it looked like a dough-like texture and crossed my fingers that it would all come out like cookies. 

In the end, it all worked out and they were crispy, chewy, delicious, and addictive. Of course the one time I make delicious cookies, I have NO idea how much of what went inside of them! But after some experimentation, here's an altered and refined recipe for you all to try. 



Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
4 tablespoons maple syrup (or golden syrup)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup old-fashioned whole rolled oats (not instant or quick cook)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut

1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1 pinch salt
2 tbs boiling water
1 tsp baking soda

  1. Melt the coconut oil and add the brown sugar and maple syrup.
  2. After mixing well, stir in the flours, rolled oats, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and salt. Set aside.
  3. Mix the 2 tbs of boiling water with baking soda. Pour water-baking soda mixture over dough and stir to combine. Mix until it becomes an even dough-like texture. 
  4. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to a week before baking them. 
  5. Preheat oven to 350F, and oil baking sheets. Form 2tbs scoops with at least 1-2in in between each mound. 
  6. Bake for about 9 minutes, or until edges have set and will be just beginning to brown. Bake them up to 12 minutes if you like firmer, crisper cookies.
  7. Cool the cookies before devouring with a tall glass of milk or an iced coffee. 

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee