Darth Vader Olive Oil Banana Bread


I just bought the sickest baking pan. And I also had three overly ripe bananas. So, what else is there to do besides make some banana bread in the mold of Darth Vader's face? While the recipe is called Darth Vader Olive Oil Banana Bread, please do not feel obligated to purchase a Darth Vader pan, though it is highly encouraged. 

This is a recipe with no butter, and I opted to used olive oil over vegetable oil because I love my EVOO. It gives the bread a little extra depth, and many people have told me it tastes on the "healthy" side. It was perfectly moist, though I wish the banana flavor was more potent. I had it for breakfast with a bit of raspberry preserve, and I must say that the force is strong with this one!


Next batch, I'm adding banana liquor and walnuts. 





________________________________________



7 years later update... THIS RECIPE STILL SLAPS! But now I make it in a skillet always (I still love Darth Vader, but I love cooking with my skillet maybe just as much). I've tried making it vegan with chia seeds instead of egg, but it goes bad quick. I've also tried substituting apple sauce for the yogurt, but the moisture is really not the same (ricotta works, though!). So 7 years later, I still do it the same as when I first published this revelatory recipe. Just getting more creative with the mix-ins or an extra banana or 2. Highly recommend, 10/10 made it again and again, and one of the healthiest yummiest banana breads out there.  





Darth Vader Olive Oil Banana Bread
1 Darth Vader cake pan (or a cast iron skillet) 
1 cup all-purpose flour 
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda 
3/4 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon 
1/2 cup cane sugar 
1 cup oats
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs 
4 medium bananas, ripe and mashed
3/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup olive oil

optional mix ins: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup ground flaxseed or hempseeds, 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, 1/4 cup golden raisins or dried cranberries, 2 tbs poppy seeds, 1/3 cup dark chocolate bits or cacao nibs

1. Preheat oven to 350°F 
2. Mix flours, baking soda, sugar, salt, and optional mix-ins in a bowl 
3. In a separate larger mixing bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, bananas, vanilla extract, and olive oil  
4. Fold dry ingredients into the banana mixture until just combined 
5. Pour batter into lightly oiled pan 
6. Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center of bread comes out clean
7. Allow pan to cool before transferring to wire rack to cool for ~20 minutes before slicing 

✓ whole grains
✓ fiber
✓ unsaturated fats
✓ potassium


Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee