Peels

It's been awhile since I posted about breakfast, New York, and American food, so I'm very excited to write about Peels today. Peels is an American Southern-inspired restaurant in the East Village of New York. Since my spring break in New Orleans last year (...literally just purchased a Hornets t-shirt before they change to the Pelicans), I've been craving Southern and Creole food like no other. It's surprisingly difficult to find this cuisine in Manhattan! So when I looked at the menu at Peels, I was very excited to try their breakfast selection. 

My birthday brunch with a sunny looking little brother

We started off with some iced coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice, and monkey bread before our main dishes. Monkey bread is usually a cinnamon flavored pull-apart bread, but this airy slice with frosting was just as good, though I would have liked it to be even more cinnamon-y. My brother did the build-a-biscuit, which comes with their Martha Stewart-made-famous biscuit and add-ons of your choice. He chose bacon, Monterey Jack cheese, avocado, and red eye gravy on the side. I opted for my all time favorite, shrimp and grits. It comes with a fried egg, homemade tasso bacon, and jalapeno grits. It was plenty flavorful, and the runny egg brings it all together.

This place is definitely somewhere I will return again for breakfast or brunch. And I really want to go back for their other Southern-inspired dishes such as the fried chicken sandwich, fried broccoli, lemon meringue pie, and coconut cream pie. mm-MMM! ...just bring me back to the South.

Fresh squeezed OJ and monkey bread

Build-a-biscuit!

Shrimp and grits

Look at that running egg. 


Peels
325 Bowery Street
New York, NY 10003

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee