Homemade apple crisp!

I hope this recipe comes just in time before apple season is over (though apple season is magically year round in America...), because I just made some apple crisp last night and it turned out absolutely delicious! Before I forget, let me tell you all how EASY this recipe is. So simple that I made it with no glasses and a facial mask on. TMI? Well, it was that easy.


Since my apple picking adventure last weekend, I've been pretty much eating an apple a day. However, it is quite difficult to finish an entire peck, so I had a few that have gotten a bruise or a bump here or there that I decided to slice up and throw together in the form of a crisp! 

This is not as traditional a recipe because:
1. I use a fraction the recommended amount of loose sugar
2. You enjoy it with yogurt and honey instead of ice cream
I'm still in nutrition school, so when a recipe called for 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 cup of white sugar for just 3 apples, I couldn't take it. But if you're itching for that extra tinge of sweetness, fear not because the yogurt and honey topping is so delicious you will want to eat it with every dessert and by itself. Furthermore, this recipe calls for ROLLED OATS. YAY, LOTS OF FIBER! So I found this version preferably to those that only use sugar and butter for the crumble. 

Apple Crisp (serves 6)
3 medium apples*, sliced thinly
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
4 tbsp of butter, a little warmer than room temp (I microwaved it for 20 seconds)
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. 
2. In a mixing bowl, mix the butter, olive oil,h the brown sugar, flour, and oats until crumbly. (Easier if you get down and dirty with your hands)
3. In a square baking dish (I used an 8x8 in), spread the sliced apples on top. Sift cinnamon and remaining sugar over the apples and mix well. 
4. Spread the the crumble mixture over the apples evenly.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.

*I just so happen to have Cortland apples, which are a bit tart and crunchier and preferred for baking. Other apples that you can use: Honeycrisp, Braeburn, Granny Smith, Gala.



_____________________________________________

Okay, so this yogurt and honey topping isn't a real groundbreaking recipe, but I think it's a great things to keep in mind for topping replacement for whipped cream or ice cream because it's a lot lower in sugar and fat. And it's a lot more delicious and interesting than just plain yogurt, and a lot more bougie than just flavored yogurt, so go impress your dinner guests and save them a few calories! 


Yogurt and honey topping (serves 6)
1 cup Greek yogurt*  
2 tbsp honey

*I used 2%, but please use fat free if you so choose.  

1. Stir together in a bowl, and serve over apple crisp, pie, fresh fruit, or just about anything!
OR
1. Scoop a dollop of yogurt over apple crisp, pie, fresh fruit, etc., and drizzle honey over. 



Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee