Marea

I've probably walked by Marea a hundred times, but have never noticed it. Nested along the scenic Central Park South, Marea's Michael White offers an Italian seafood faire that is delicate and refreshing.  The menu offers an extensive (almost overwhelming) array of crudo and antipasti, and a list of in-house prepared pastas creatively paired with seafood and flavors.

My family and I all opted for the $97 four course prix fixe with an additional dozen of oysters. For the crudo selection, I had the choice of three which included the langoustines, mackerel, and tuna. The simple preparation accented the freshness, and the raw texture of every dainty bite set off all the stimulant sensors in my mouth. The portion for the primi di mare was just right: my spaghetti with crab and sea urchin was savory, delicious, and just enough was provided to keep me satisfied, yet still hungry for my secondi di pesce. For my main course, I had the brodetto di pesce, a very aromatic seafood soup, similar to the French bouillabaisse. 

But surprisingly, the highlight of the meal was the dessert. It was just so unexpected that an Italian seafood restaurant along Central Park would have one of the most talented pastry chefs in Manhattan. The carota carrot cake was extremely moist and paired with a delightful carrot ginger sorbet and the panna cotta was dangerously creamy and balanced with a blood orange sorbet. 

Marea is a great locale for special occasions, fancy dates, or high rollers, however its prix fixe option makes their extensive menu approachable, convenient, and a bit more affordable. If anything, I would definitely go back just for dessert. 


ostriche

assagio di tre crudo: langoustine, mackerel, tuna 

spaghetti: with crab, sea urchin and basil

brodetto di pesce: adriatic seafood soup

bistecca: grilled 50-day aged dry sirloin, bone marrow panzanella

branzino: local striped bass, red wine jus

fiore di limone, bomboloni, panna cotta, carota

Marea
240 Central Park South  
New York, NY 10019

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee