Lunar New Year of the Ox


Lunar New Year was a little different this year. There was mass confusion and concern regarding food and money exchange within my extended family to preserve the traditions and to keep my 94 year old grandparents safe from COVID. The usual buzz and excitement that came with putting up decorations, getting haircuts, and buying new outfits was missing. Instead it was replaced with the stress of getting together without gathering. 

Regardless, the typical food preparation schedule was on! We started with the sticky rice dumplings kueh a week before, followed by sticky rice cake, daikon radish cake, fried taro, and vegetarian delight throughout the week until new years day. We make enough to feed >60 people. Apparently there used to be more recipes in the rotation, like fried peanut corners, but these country foods just take too much time and labor, so my grandmother only kept her favorites around.  

The feast we prepare is first offered to the gods and ancestors before we enjoy it ourselves. It's my favorite ritual of all time. I love plating the offerings, setting the liquor next to the tea, and watching the room fill with the haze of incense smoke. 

There's so much to be grateful for this year. My health, a bountiful kitchen, being with my family. But I just couldn't help but feel the strain of the pandemic, the slow shuttering of Chinatown, and recent attacks on Asian American elders. I pray for the safety of everyone's families. I pray for the restoration of faith in each other, in humanity.  


Blessed with handmade fresh fried sesame sticky rice flour balls on new years day 

My all time favorite, sticky rice cake fried in egg

First time seeing MIMOSA flowers!



Fried taro and peanuts, before

Fried taro and peanuts, after

Ancestral offerings are always so lit

I love knowing that my grandfather is a cat person

My grandmother showing off her radish cake stacked fridge

Vegetarian money bags, my mom is the most extra, but always worth the work

Pressed mung bean treats with black sesame and matcha

The infamous pink sticky rice dumplings

Daikon radish cakes!! Should we set up shop? 




















 



Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee