I love a good sandwich

 


I love a good sandwich. I don't know if I've ever made that clear in the past, but growing up in NYC, there is a huge deli / bodega culture with an emphasis on bagels (ref 1 & 2) and Italian sandwiches. I apologize for not giving sandwiches more attention in the past, but they're in this inexplicable space between everyday mundane foods and great sandwiches don't come by that easily (unless you in NOLA on the search for poboys). 

A great sandwich is all about the bread. It's what holds it all together. There has to be a star, a sauce, something tart, and varying textures. It don't even have to be fresh sometimes because if it's good, it will hold overnight and the flavors will only amplify the next day. I don't accept dry, and I refuse mediocrity. 

Here are some of my favorite sandwiches that I've been devouring (no cap) recently. All of these place have been visited repeatedly by me. Like I said, great sandwiches don't come by that easily, so I hold on when I can. And when was the last time I dropped some food reviews? About time.   

Love the extensive veggie menu @ Court Street Grocers 

BK for the win: Court Street Grocers540 LaGuardia Pl

First up we got this Brooklyn original that currently has 3 locations, and thank goodness one of them is located in downtown Manhattan. They have the greatest vegetarian sandwich options by far, and they're all so creative and enticing! The one I keep going back to? The broccoli reuben. It's just so flavorful. Who knew I would need some broccoli smothered in sauerkraut and a revamped Russian dressing served warm on rye bread? I've been there once a  month since I was first introduced (thank you forever Emilie) and have gotten a Broccoli Reuben each time ... plus another one because I need to try all the veggie flavors. My other favorite at Court Street Grocers is the Vegetalian Delite. It's their take on a classic Italian, but instead of cured meats, there's soft butternut squash. The contrast with the crispy sesame baguette ... mmppphh!   

Broccoli Reuben @ Court Street Grocers

Vegetalian Delite @ Court Street Grocers

______________________________________________________________________

Fish filets: Amy Ruth's113 W 116th St & The Jones, 54 Great Jones Street

Fried catfish fillet sandwich @ Amy Ruth's


Why is fried seafood on bread so good?? When I first became vegetarian, I broke it with a fried catfish poboy on Mardi Gras, HAH!

The most recent one I had was from Amy Ruth's, a Harlem establishment. My biggest mistake was going in too hard and finishing it all in one sitting because that knocked me out. But it was worth it. It's been so long since I had fried catfish, like before the pandemic long. This was served on an oversized Kaiser roll, dressed with lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles. At first I thought I would need mayo, but the fish was so flavorful and soft, all I did was douse it in hot sauce. My goodness I'm drooling as I'm recounting this experience. Also, it's served with a side of your choice. I chose fried okra, but I didn't really choose because I also ordered sides of mac&cheese, candied yams, collard greens, and rice and peas. I needed it all. It's been way too long. I will be back so soon. Not waiting 7 years this time. 

A new pandemic find is The Jones. It's meant to be a neighborhood spot with familiar flavors, and they hit it right on the mark. I've gotten the filet o'fish most times I've been there. It's just like how you remember it from McDonald's, but The Jones' fish quality is obviously higher and served with fresh homemade chips! Their beans and greens are of course a healthier and just as delicious choice. And the Caesar salad is a solid 10/10, all expectations met. 


Filet o'fish @ The Jones

_________________________________________________________________________

Italian sandwiches: Milano Market, 1582 3rd Avenue & Lena's Italian Kitchen, 551 2nd Avenue

Triple S Eggplant @ Milano Market

It's hard to beat a hot Italian sandwich on a hero dripping in sauce and cheese. They're usually delicious, but a lot of places don't know how to hot sandwich, let alone how to handle a hero. My favorite is the classic eggplant parmigiana. Layers of breaded eggplant slathered in tomato sauce with a generous heap of melted mozzarella. 

Milano Market has a great rendition called the Triple S (S for SAUCE), spread with marinara, vodka, and pesto sauce. I'm a sauce person for sure, so this sandwich puts me in a happy place. They also got the cheese pull down and an amazing sesame semolina hero. Awesome all Italian corner store with all your Italian needs such as olive oil, fresh cheese, the most delicious prepared foods, and Italian cookies!!  

A neighborhood go-to is Lena's. They're really a catering spot, but each time I order from them it's like catering a party for a small - medium sized family, so it works out. Eggplant parm hero, no question. And I always get the stracciatella (spinach & eggdrop) soup. It's so good. What else is good? The fried calamari, garlic bread, shrimp pasta, and all the generous rolls that all the orders come with. 

Lena's Italian Kitchen

BONUS ROUND: Homemade (yet still Italian)

My cousin Tiffany is a baker, thank goodness for her, and during the pandemic she started doing focaccia Fridays! What a treat because then I would get a tray or half of fresh baked focaccia! My favorite was rosemary onion. So fragrant and bouncy. Here's a wonderful memory of the focaccia served with fresh mozzarella from Di'Palo's. *sigh* I love NYC. 


Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee