Fall in NYC

Streetside homegrown veggies and plants on Grand Street near Mott 


I love fall in New York City. You feel a change in the air with the transition of seasons. There's a crispness, a newness that's tangible. The rain washes away the ends of late summer to usher in cooler weather. The leaves on the trees stealthily turn from green to orange and yellow to brown. The variety at the farmers market starts to dwindle, root vegetables and squash become more prominent, and everyone is seething with Election Day anxiety.... or just me? 

Fall is a time for discernment. To assess what to hold on to and what to let go of in preparation for winter. We are still in the midst of a pandemic, social gatherings are sparse, and the Halloween Parade was cancelled. But there's so much to be grateful for. I'm grateful for the bountiful food we have in New York City. I'm grateful for service industry workers being extra cautious and patient. I'm grateful to be living so close to my extended family. 

It's going to be a cold winter ahead, but for now I'll enjoy having dim sum outdoors, the warming magic of squash and spicy peppers, and the perfectly chilly cloudless days while I can. 


Love gingko nut season!

One of my favorite brunch spots, Café Mogador on the Lower East Side

VOTE veggies at Union Square Greenmarket

Pepper plants at Union Square Greenmarket

Vegan bahn xeo at The Tyger, loved the fusion of SE Asian flavors here

Homemade sticky rice dumplings on my grandma's 93rd birthday

Squash, garlic, and gourds

Veniero's and Lady M, only the best for the birthday matriarch

I always love the mural on Houston and Bowery


Egg omelet with homegrown chives

The best dimsum in Manhattan is at Ping's, I said what I said. Guaranteed quality.

Chinatown pedestrian streets


Sichuan peppercorn fish at Uluh

A beautiful fall day at Union Square Greenmarket

Homemade daikon radish cake, always a treat


Had an impressive brunch at The Jones on Great Jones. What she order? Fish filet.

The Jones is watched over by Mardi Gras Elvis, so you know it's good vibes.

The $15 tiramisu for 2 from La Pecora Bianca (btw, best pastas I've had in awhile)

An abandoned scallion


Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee