Cooking in the time of coronavirus

Alliums. Every. Meal.

Life is different. I don't remember the last time I've ever eaten so many consecutive meals at home. If ever. Sometimes we're creative and ambitious, most of the time we fall back on classics. Chinese food every day, Cantonese food predominantly, Italian food because variety, and Jewish food because we're real New Yorkers. 

Every meal, more than ever, is infused with lots of alliums. Garlic, scallions, onions, and shallots are staples around the kitchen. We shop in Chinatown, pick up dairy and other miscellaneous foods at Fairway, and buy bagels on the Upper West Side after weekly food exchanges with my grandma. Egg tarts are rare commodities, there's always cream cheese in the fridge, and pepper jelly goes well with a lot of things. 

I've reread Love in the Time of Cholera, participated in 2 meditation summits, and finished a pranayama course. I practice yoga almost daily. I live with my family, but mostly spend time with my cats. I take vitamin D breaks on the roof and try to be patient with my inversions. I want to be productive and more forgiving to myself, but I know we're all living in a state of stress. I sleep a lot, but spend most of that time drifting from dream to dream. Life is confusing. 

Thank goodness for good food. 

Homemade scallion pancakes, not the same as restaurant scallion pancakes

Ah, the basic breakfast feat. avocado toast and soft scrambled eggs

The ubiquitous quarantine banana bread. Used ricotta and it came out so perfectly moist

The necessary ramen meal, elevated with spam, egg, miso shiitake, seaweed, scallion, and black sesame

Earth Day prep with all the greens

My favorite savory snack has been turmeric black pepper Cajun spicy olive oil popcorn

Fruit, always

Sauteed garlic A-choy and butter rice made with tomatoes chickpeas

A beautiful burrata caprese

NYTimes' shallot pasta with hempseeds


Cribchella brunch. I love my friends hosting virtual brunch and games, thank y'all

East Broadway, Chinatown NYC

Chinatown grocery shopping

Greens give me life

Experimental potstickers stuffed with egg, chives, and vermicelli

Curry udon

First time making shumai with mushroom pumpkin rice and wonton wraps

Celebrated 4/20 Earth Day with my hemp seed pesto


King Arthur's crispy cheese pan pizza was delicious, but a tease because 
I'm spoiled and Joe's pizza is the benchmark of good pizza 

New mural in Chinatown.... Kobe and Gigi forever <3 Stay safe out there! 




Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee