I was never a pancake (or bacon) person until I moved to the south. Not that pancakes are a southern thing, but I've just started appreciating them more. As y'all know, I'm horrible at following recipes, so here's a recipe for everyone like me that just loves cooking. Go crazy with the substitutions, the add-ins, and the free styling. I promise the pancakes will always plate perfectly.
How you like 'em hot cakes (4 servings / ~6, 6-in cakes)
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup flour of choice (whole wheat, almond, coconut, etc)
1/4 cup fibrous add in of choice (flax meal, oats, barley, etc)
3/4 milk of choice (cow's, soy, coconut, etc)
1/2 cup nuts/seeds of choice (pecans, walnuts, pistachios, etc)
1/4 cup add-ins of choice (coconut flakes, black sesame powder, blueberries, etc)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp spice of choice (cinnamon, all spice, tumeric, etc)
1/4 tsp salt fat of choice (olive oil, avocado oil, peanut oil, etc)
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix all together wet ingredients and then fold into dry ingredients until a smooth consistent texture forms.
2. Heat a small pan to medium heat. Spread 1/2 tsp oil evenly on the pan.
3. Ladle out 2 - 3 tbsp of batter in the center of the pan.
4. Once cake starts bubbling, check the bottom side and flip at desired golden brown-ness.
5. Make a stack Serve with maple syrup and your favorite fresh fruit
✓ whole grains
✓ unsaturated fats