Sticky rice two ways: mango coconut, scallion mushroom


Living in the south is confusing. I know it's fall because it's been cooler ... as in it's only been in the high 80's in the morning these days. So even though it's autumn, it feels perfectly good eating mango sticky rice when I get inside from that Louisiana heat. 

I love sticky rice. It's sweet, it's got a nice bite. It's higher in calorie and more dense, but oh does it carry flavor. I called up my grandma for her basic instructions on how to steam sticky rice, and I improvised the rest to recreate my favorite Thai dessert. For the savory version I used a simple recipe from my other grandmother and it paired perfectly with my pan seared gulf drum. 

Perfect transitional post because sticky rice is eaten when the weather gets colder because it sticks to your belly and warms you up! 

My Mid-Autumn Festival dinner, complete with mooncake! 

Mango Coconut Sticky Rice
1 cup glutinous rice, presoaked in water for 30 min 
~ 6 oz coconut milk
1 ripe mango, sliced
to serve: sweetened condensed milk, mint 

1. Prepare a large pot for steaming.* 
2. Fill flat dish with presoaked rice.
3, Pour in coconut milk until it is level with the rice
4. Steam for 45 - 60 min or until rice is cooked
5. Serve with fresh sliced mango and drizzled sweetened condensed milk 

*I used a deep skillet, a wire rack, and flat dish as my steaming contraption  
_____________________________________________


Scallion Mushroom Sticky Rice
1 cup glutinous rice, presoaked in water for 30 min 
~ 6 oz water/rice wine, 2:1 ratio 
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced 
1 tbsp dried shrimp 
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
pinch of salt
Optional: 1 link Chinese sausage, sliced
to serve: sliced scallions, cilantro

1. Prepare a large pot for steaming.* 
2. Fill flat dish with presoaked rice
3. Pour in water/rice wine until it is level with the rice
4. Mix in mushrooms, shrimp, soy sauce, and salt
5 Steam for 45-60 min or until rice is cooked
6. Drizzle with sesame oil and top with scallions and parsley before serving 

Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee