Pesto veggie flatbread



As I mentioned last post, my brother left me with a bit of homemade pesto when he stayed with me in New Orleans*. As much as I love pesto, there's only so many times I can eat it with eggs, in a sandwich, or as dressing. So to finish the remaining pesto before it went bad, I used it as the sauce for a veggie flatbread! (it's not pizza because I bought a pre-made crust. I'm a strong believer in it's only pizza if you toss the dough)

*Much shout out to the community garden at the Green School and its bountiful herb garden. 




Pesto veggie flatbread (serves 2-4) 
1 pizza crust (you can make your own or buy pre-made / frozen) 
1/3 cup mozzarella (I used pearls, shredded works too) 
2 tbs parmesan, grated or crumble 
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced 
1 bell pepper, sliced
2 shallots 
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
olive oil
2 tbs white wine 
1 tbs balsamic vinegar 
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
arugula 

1. In an iron skillet on high heat, brown shallots in olive oil. 
2. Add mushrooms. Sautee with white wine** and balsamic vinegar. 
3. Mix in peppers, galic powder, and Italian seasoning. Set aside. 
4. Preheat oven to 425F 
5. Brush pizza crust with olive oil, spread pesto generously. 
6. Top with sauteed vegetables. Evenly distribute mozzarella and parmesan.**  
7. Bake for 15-20 min or until cheese is browned and blistering. 
8. Top with fresh arugula and serve! 

**Rules of my fridge: always have 2+ cheeses and white wine stocked 





Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee