Iceland


First impressions: wild, extreme, desolate. Iceland is an island blessed with the most magnificent natural formations, but cursed with whirling winds and erratic weather. The views were grand and intense, but it was near impossible to enjoy them due to the heavy winds constantly threatening to sweep you away. There was a noticeable lack of fresh produce and leafy greens that I'm spoiled with, so I resorted to daily skyr and juices. Most foods were remarkably salty, whether cured or not. I warmly welcomed the fruity teas, slathered the rich butter on everything, and devoured all the (salty) soups. However, I was most impressed by the pristine tap water and the geothermal heated water throughout the island. My favorite moments were snowy happy hours in the outdoor hot tub after a full day walking on waterfalls. Will I go back? I don't know. I would love to see the puffins and the icy landscape turn to green come warmer weather, but there are so many places yet to visit where you can also glimpse the elusive Northern Lights. 



Fresh bread with "lobster" soup








Greenhouse tomato soup and cheese crusted bread

Flight got delayed 6 hours then cancelled, so $10USD caviar was necessary



Popular Posts

Image

Purple congee